Social Icons

Pages

Sunday 26 April 2009

KENYA – SIM Global Leaders Gathering




From 22nd till 29th April SIM International organised a Global Leaders Gathering for directors and representatives of various countries. The idea of the conference was to bring people from the 72 different countries that SIM is involved in worldwide to praise God, to pray and to listen to what God has to say to us. Travelling to Nairobi, Kenya made me realize again that Loja is really quite far from anywhere! They have a saying in Quito that Loja is further than the moon, because at least you can see the moon….So, one flight to Quito, another to Madrid, another to London and another to Nairobi. Not great back-to-back, but I survived.


The conference had three main speakers - an assistant bishop from the Kampala Diocese in Africa, Rev. David Zac Niringiye, who has had over 20 years in ministry in varying roles in Africa; Dr. Funmi Para-Mallam a senior research fellow from Nigeria, who published a book called “Why? Oh Why am I a Woman?” (she certainly had some things to say about equality and women, was nice to hear it from some else apart from Karine, who used to come home from uni when doing her masters talking about gender issues all the time!); and Rev. Simon Walker, author of “The Undefended Leader”, the reading of which was homework for the conference.


Of the three speakers the one that interested me most was Simon as I am certainly trying to work out what my place will be within SIM Ecuador and how best I can serve my fellow teammates. His talks were encouraging and thought provoking. Along with his book, I found that he gave me some really interesting ideas on how to talk to people in the varying ministries that they are involved in within SIM Ecuador. I pray that this will be of some use and encouragement to the rest of the team.


I had a great time meeting the many people from around the SIM World and making many new friends.


I also managed to drop in on some friends and family in the UK, which was a real treat. Had a walk with Jules and Josh (RPC) in the Peak District and had a BBQ with the Miller-Crankos (the sun was out). Thank you all for your hospitality!
I made it back home to Karine and the kids and they even met me at the airport, a 40 minute drive over the mountain.
I have put lots of photos on Facebook, so please go and have a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Blogger Templates